Speaking of Solaris and Mac's and multiple OS environments. Solaris 10 is free for X86. It loads really easy in Parallels. There is even a web site where a Solaris Parallels image that is down loadable. Solaris 10 supports a virtualization called Zones (virtual Solaris server). This weekend on an Intel Mac we installed Solaris and setup a couple of Zones all running under Parallels. Each zone has its own IP and login like a regular OS. One zone for the database, one zone for the Web server, with the programming development on the Mac. Note: You need memory to do this. But it is free.

You can download the Solaris image Parallels image at:

http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=461d6b7d

Also checkout the blog:
http://mysqldatabaseadministration.blogspot.com/2007/05/installing-solaris-10-on-mac-book-using.html

To setup a Solaris zone, use the runbook posted at :

http://www.logiqwest.com/dataCenter/Demos/RunBooks/Zones/createBasicZone.html