In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Barto
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Everyone has suggested  "system_profiler" for the hardware stuff. But it
> appears that I will need do some parsing with
>  $ grep -A1 'BundleShortVersion'
> /Library/Receipts/*.pkg/Contents/version.plist  | grep string

Why are you looking thare for hardware info?

You don't really need to do any parsing. It's a plist, so something
like Mac::PropertyList can handle that for you. The module is designed
to to the hard work for you so you can slap on a nice interface, but
that's not so bad.

I'm also thinking about creating something to provide the
system_profiler output as a Perl hash. You can get that with XML (which
is just another plist), though.