At 01:56 +0000 12/1/07, Andy Holyer wrote:
>On 1 Dec 2007, at 00:33, Joel Rees wrote:
>
>>This is probably the wrong list for this question, but is anyone  willing to
>>give me a clue why
>>
>>$line =~ tr/+/ /;
>>
>>would clip out the lead bytes of a shift-JIS string in a cgi script?
>>
>what was just expressed", but you haven't expressed anything so far,  so god
>knows what it will match.
>
>I think you meant to say ".+", but that will just delete the whole  string in
>this context. What did you want to do?

+ is a special representation of a space in URL encoding but it's the
one-or-more collective char in perl.  My guess is that the intent is to replace
plus's with spaces which requires escaping the +, How about

$line =~ tr/\+/ /g;

where I have added the g to get them all.

But what the devil is the thingy (missing char) repeated at least once? Should
it not have produced a compile error or a least a warning?  Was the -w switch
used?

--
--> On the eighth day, about 6 kiloyears ago, the Lord realized that free will
would make man ask what existed before the Creation. So He installed a few