At 23:22 +0100 9/12/09, Mine wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Thanks for your excellent response, makes installing so easy assuming  I did
>it correctly.
>I think everything that was required is installed, but I am not sure
>everything was installed
>in the right location.
>
>It appears that Perl 5.10.1 was installed and all the modules I  installed are
>associated with
>Perl 5.10.1. When I try to run the get_iplayer PVR module I get the  following
>error:
>Can't locate loadable object for module HTML::Parser in @INC (@INC  contains:
>/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level
>(I have abbreviated the error message)
>
>And when I enter perl -v  I get the following:
>This is perl, v5.8.8 built for darwin-2level
>
>So the system does not see the Perl 5.10.1 install. Can someone  please tell
>me if there is a
>was to install the modules so they relate to perl, v5.8.8, or point
>get_iplayer to use Perl 5.10.1.

I suspect that Apple's perl is 5.8.8 and it is installed in /usr/bin. It needs
to stay there because Apple's updates may depend on it. Installing 5.10.1 in
/usr/bin/ replacing 5.8.8 is not recommended.

I also suspect that perl 5.10 is installed in /usr/local/bin but that might be
different like /opt/bin depending on just how you installed it.. Look around
for it. /opt/local/lib/ sounds unlikely to me.

You are probably going to make a change to your PATH environment variable to
make the directory that perl 5,10 resides in appear before /usr/bin.

A shell command like:
setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:$PATH  # csh

PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH   # something like this in bash
export PATH

You can also specify PATH in a startup file
$HOME/.MacOSX/environment.plist.
but you'll have to create that including the .MacOSX directory unless it's
already there. There are some instructions on Apple's web site. Ask if you'd
like a sample.

@INC is a perl array that lists directories in which modules can be found.
There are a bunch of standard locations relative to the directory that perl
itself lives in but you can add more directories by setting the PERL5LIB
environment variable to a PATH-like list of other directories. That too can be
done in environment.plist.

It's a bit hard to understand why iplayer doesn't have an installation script
or at least some less geeky instructions for users.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--