On Feb 27, 2007, at 14:23, Blair Zajac wrote:

Being somebody who actually digs into stack traces and core dumps, I would be extremely leery about loosing the -g flag. When something goes wrong, having the additional debugging information available is nice.

I think there's precedence for keeping it. Most of the Linux distributions I believe build it in by default. For example, here's a build log for Subversion on Ubuntu Dapper Drake:

http://www-devel.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/dapper/subversion/log- build-subversion-1.3.2-3zajac1.txt

Lots of -g's in there.

Disk is pretty cheap these days, so I say keep it in.

Well my disk is full, and I wouldn't have a clue how to use the debugging info even if it were there, so I don't want it. So how do we make the presence or absence of -g configurable globally per user?