On Mar 31, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

Which private API are you referring to?

I know that the port was *broken* until I changed it to use the right command API, but that had nothing to do with building universal, that was a very hacky way of building the static archive.

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/changeset/22776

Specifically, the use of "command" -- which is undocumented and subject to change (it changed, as you noted when you fixed the port).

The static library support someone added some time ago was also pretty nasty, no doubt about that.

I implemented a two-line patch to clean up the static library building, and pipping implemented a similar patch for Universal. The port practically gleams, now: http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/dports/ archivers/zlib/Portfile?rev=23429

Of course, it'd be nice to be able to use variant universal { } instead of variant_isset, but you can't have everything.

-landonf