On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:30 PM, Kevin Ballard wrote:

Yeah, I know, but the fact of the matter was nobody used find, and I mean nobody. And the other part is that, in general, it's far more conducive to stop thinking of code as "my code" or "his code" and to think of it simply as project code. Sure, you wrote it, but in the end does that matter? Discussion should be about the merits of the code, not about ownership.

There are reasons beyond ego of ownership -- the author is going to generally be able to provide the greatest insight into design decisions and implementation. "My code" and "his code" are very real constructs in this context, and the authorship does matter. When you make a significant unilateral change to an existing contributor's code without consultation, this may reasonably be considered a raucous disregard for their design and implementation choices.

At the very least, providing "change justification" demonstrates a full consideration of the implementation as compared to the existing code -- the author can then evaluate the changes according to his original design requirements.