Landon Fuller wrote:

The choice was originally made to support the GUI PortsManager app. I think it was a good choice.

I keeping the default of /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 is enough bring the GUI PortsManager.app back to life in good working order, then by all means keep the current location of @TCL_PACKAGE_DIR@ :-)

I don't understand why the external software couldn't just look for the module in /opt/local, if indeed nobody has no more than installation and never move it, but maybe it is indeed harder to do...

Except that nobody, other than developers, will be running multiple MacPorts installations. You're taking a simple fix to a simple problem: - Install MacPorts in the standard Tcl library directory, where external software can access it.

This is the current default, so if that's the best then do nothing / keep it. As noted, those who want it moved can do so either using configure or after the installation.

For the record, here are the default locations:
Darwin: /Library/Tcl/macports1.0
FreeBSD: /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4/macports1.0
Linux: /usr/share/tcl8.4/macports1.0

I hold that this is an entirely aesthetically-driven bike shed. Unless there's a *really good reason* to change something, why don't we just leave it, and the original logic behind it, alone?

The main reason it was moved was to support packaging solutions (on other platforms) that only supported installing things in the designated prefix (e.g. /opt/local) and not in system directories (without choosing / as the root of the install, and supplying both the pats in full).

But it was *only* during this packaging process, and it was restored into the system location by the use of a install script and similarly removed again from there with a uninstall script. It doesn't have to affect the standard install location unless we want it to, it was just an idea...

--anders

PS. But for those that *do* keep it in their ${prefix}, I would suggest having it located at ${prefix}/share/macports/Tcl so the location mayhem can be kept to a minimum... :-)