On 03.09.2007, at 00:15, Jonathan Strine wrote:

Markus,

Thank you very much for the answers, but I am left with one more question. Does the statement quoted below mean that as long as the patch *and* the base port (that is the main program, dynamips) are both GPL, then everything is OK? If I understand GPL correctly I cannot redistribute a patched version of of a non-GPL program (even if the patch is GPL) since that would "break" the license?

Am I correct in the above?

well, the deal is that macports will only distribute the patch and the user will create the patched version on his machine only - so for macports everything should be just fine. The thing with GPLed code is, that it is viral, so everything you link against it (or mix with it) will get GPLed code, too. I'm not quite sure what if you do not own the original source (e.g. it is BSD licensed), but I assume that everyone will be happy as long as the viral effect of the GPL is kept and you distribute the source code along a binary.

Long story short: MacPorts only makes the patch available and not the patched software, so there is no problem for us (as long we don't distribute packages). For the rest, a lawyer should be contacted or even better: Someone should ask the author of the patch why he/she is not playing nice and not using the license of the original code.

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann
http://www.mweissmann.de/