On Oct 10, 2007, at 1:21 AM, Boey Maun Suang wrote:

Hi Juan,

What I committed to 'install.php' is basically a) what was in the old 'getmp.php' page, plus b) some suggestions taken from this list (Ryan's and Chris', IIRC), and c) hints taken from the wiki doc "InstallingMacPorts". I believe we should reorganize these three sources by first taking from the wiki doc what's useful and then obliterating it, following with a reduction of 'install.php' to some smart cues that lead users in smart ways into specific sections of the new guide (where content from the other two sources should be concentrated). Any one up to the plate for this?

I've been having a go at this for the last few days, but my view of how it should look is a bit different from the current structure, and I think some feedback before I go too far down the road would be advisable,

Great that you have some feedback on the current structure with a view of your own and that you want feedback on your ideas in turn! Even though trunk/www has indeed received some criticism so far, a fresh approach is always something useful and welcomed (or at least as long as we don't have a fast approaching deadline ;-).

so I'm not going to commit it just now. Would it be better for me to upload what I have as a proposed patch, and/or put a demo page on my website, or do something else?

In the case of a website, I think something we can look at in rendered form is way better than a patch, so I'd say you should post it up as a demo on your website to compare it side by side to what's in trunk/www (hosted at my http://apollo.homeunix.net/macports/ URL). If we agree on grabbing this and that bit of your design, you can always jump in and commit yourself.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

        Regards,...

-jmpp