I'd rather encourage a mechanism for port that provides a mechanism for port authors to know how many processors there are and to enable parallel builds if they know this to work. Perhaps a switch "use_parallel_build [yes|no]" that will add "-j 2*CPUS" to build.args.

There's a bunch of other influences, such as number of cores and amount of RAM and whether the build is using some bloated language like C++ and many other considerations, for the -j parameter.

So in the end I just made it an integer (build.jobs), and left the heuristics up to the user :-)

--anders

PS. There's also a build.nice, if you want to go the other route (build slower, like in background)