On 29 Nov 2007, at 20:34, Kevin Van Vechten wrote:

On Nov 29, 2007, at 4:45 PM, James Berry wrote:

Hey Kevin,

On Nov 29, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Kevin Van Vechten wrote:

I as understand it, appending /opt/local/bin to the path works fine at _runtime_ but may be insufficient at _build time_.

So you're saying that if we append prefix to the path we might have build issues that we wouldn't have if we prepend. That's a good argument.

No, I'm saying that for interactive use it usually doesn't matter that /opt/local is appended. But when building new Ports, we probably do want /opt/local first in the path -- however MacPorts should probably prepend $prefix to PATH during builds regardless of whether path_helper is used or not.

If I understand things correctly, port sets its own internal path environment, completely ignoring the user's environment.

Randall Wood
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://shyramblings.blogspot.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes. All the
rest is just philosophy."