On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Landon Fuller wrote:

- Digest authentication is indistinguishable from Basic authentication -- your browser will display the same dialog regardless of the authentication type.

Safari distinguishes them; Basic authentication dialogs say the password will be sent in the clear.

Currently, trying to access http://www.macosforge.org/wp-login.php in Safari says the following:
        "Your password will be sent in the clear."

Oh right, ironically Safari has a bug in that message is displayed even for digest authentication (it is not intended to be).

Firefox doesn't show any difference in the auth dialog -- I'd easily login using the basic auth. Also, does Safari refuse to auto-login if the authentication type changes?

Unknown.  The RFC suggests that it should.  =)

At best, it will prevent a passive attacker from acquiring your password. Anyone engaging in an active MITM attack will have no difficultly acquiring your password.

I agree SSL provides additional security benefits, but digest authentication isn't as transparent as you indicate.

I still hold that it is -- digest auth makes passive sniffing useless, but it doesn't prevent an active attack from acquiring your password, especially if you're using a browser that fails to differentiate between digest and basic auth.

We're probably talking past each other, and I'm probably splitting hairs. I disagree that the MITM can "acquire your password" but I agree that a MITM could "masquerade as you."

- Kevin