On Jan 7, 2008, at 09:14, William Davis wrote:

possible useful  info from uni-porting list;

Begin forwarded message:

From: Martin Costabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: December 30, 2007 8:12:57 AM EST
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Beginner question -- how to resolve dependent dylib's when linking

Peter O'Gorman wrote:
Mike Kelsey wrote:
Is there an option I can give to |libtool| or/and |ld|, such that dependent libraries mentioned inside .dylib's will be resolved via the -L options?
See -dylib_file in the ld(1) manpage.

If you are on Leopard, you probably don't have to do anything in this case. It is standard behavior there (in most situations perceived as an annoying bug, though) that indirect libraries are *not* looked up according to their install_name, but in the directories defined by -L.

Perversely, you are forced to use -dylib_file, or explicit -L -l references, if you want them to be looked up at the path mentioned in the referencing dylib. This wreaks all kinds of havoc if you have several dylibs of the same name on your system, but in your situation this may be the behavior you are wishing for.

Presumably you are sending this as information for solving the "cycle in dylib re-exports" problem we see with some software under Leopard?

But isn't the solution provided by Apple in their technote already sufficient to resolve this?

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2007/qa1567.html

Or am I misunderstanding your message?