As some of you may have seen, I've been improving the postflight script in the release_1_6 branch with the feedback I've received so far, plus some other relevant fixes/improvements.

I've tested it locally on both virgin and customized accounts, extensively, and have found it to work reliably so far. Nevertheless, we all know a single workstation is no high quality measure ;-) so I'd like to openly call for wider testing in case I'm missing bugs that my environment is not surfacing.

If you're up for it, please grab the script off this URL [1] and take it for a hard ride on whatever environment you can think of. I've tried to bullet-proof it for straight forward functionality in a default environment and to be as polite and non-disruptive as possible in a non-default one.

For those of you wondering what I'm considering as a default environment, have a read at:

http://guide.macports.org/#installing.binary.postflight.details

That, plus the fact that I only do it for bash and tcsh shells, and the latter only as legacy support for Jaguar and previous accounts (Maun Suang, can we add a note about this to the guide section above?). I'm somewhat considering removing such support because tweaking tcsh configuration file has proven a tad difficult:

1) It's not easy to invoke a non-interactive, login tcsh shell session. In a nutshell, so far it has proven impossible for me. This limits my ability to properly test the environment to figure out what I need to add and what I don't, which takes me onto 2) below 2) It's not clear to me whether I should write to ~/.tchsrc, ~/.cshrc or ~/.login (I've heard solid claims for all of them), barring my inability to properly test the environment; 3) barring 2), the form of the settings to be written varies ("set foo = bar" Vs. "setenv foo bar"); 4) I'm by no means a tcsh user, so all I can do is *guess* the best approach in unpleasant tcsh debugging sessions ;-)

In my various instances of 4), plus very kind help from both Eric Hall and Wilfredo Sanchez at times, have lead me to a combination of ~/.tcshrc with "setenv foo bar" statements, which I think works fairly well. But still, I'd love some experienced tcsh using eyes if available to shed some more light on this aspect of the script (thinking a bit more about it, resolving 1) above would probably solve this entire problem).

So, without any further ado, I'd appreciate as much help I can get in testing this script and, in case of failure, getting detailed reports if possible. Success reports are also of course welcomed!

        Regards,...

-jmpp

[1]
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/branches/release_1_6/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight?format=ra