Sorry, meant to send this to macports-users ;-) But some testing from this audience wouldn't hurt either :-P

-jmpp

On Jan 14, 2008, at 1:17 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

As some of you may have seen, I've been improving the postflight script in the release_1_6 branch with the feedback I've received so far, plus some other relevant fixes/improvements. The final product is what will be in the 1.6.1 pkg installer, which I plan to upload to our website to replace the buggy 1.6.0 installers.

I've tested it locally on both virgin and customized accounts, extensively, and have found it to work reliably so far. I'd now like to openly call for some wider testing in case I'm missing bugs that my environment is not surfacing.

If you're up for it, please grab the script off this URL [1] and take it for a hard ride on whatever environment you can think of. I've tried to bullet-proof it for straight forward functionality in a default environment and to be as polite and non-disruptive as possible in a non-default one.

Standard disclaimer applies about this code potentially having bugs that may disrupt your working environment, so do not use on a production machine/account if you can't afford any errors.

For those of you wondering what I'm considering as a default environment, have a read at:

http://guide.macports.org/#installing.binary.postflight.details

That, plus the fact that I only do it for bash and tcsh shells, and the latter only as legacy support for Jaguar and previous accounts. I'm somewhat considering removing such support because tweaking tcsh configuration file has proven a tad difficult:

1) It's not easy to invoke a non-interactive, login tcsh shell session. In a nutshell, so far it has proven impossible for me. This limits my ability to properly test the environment to figure out what I need to add and what I don't, which takes me onto 2) below 2) It's not entirely clear to me whether I should write to ~/.tchsrc, ~/.cshrc or ~/.login (I've heard solid claims for all of them), barring my inability to properly test the environment; 3) barring 2), the form of the settings to be written varies ("set foo = bar" Vs. "setenv foo bar"); 4) I'm by no means a tcsh user, so all I can do is *guess* the best approach in unpleasant tcsh debugging sessions ;-)

Various instances of 4), plus very kind help from both Eric Hall and Wilfredo Sanchez at times, have lead me to a combination of ~/.tcshrc with "setenv foo bar" statements, which I think works fairly well. But still, I'd love some experienced tcsh using eyes if available to shed some more light on this aspect of the script (thinking a bit more about it, resolving 1) above would probably solve this entire problem).

So, without any further ado, I'd appreciate as much help I can get in testing this script and, in case of failure, getting detailed reports if possible. Success reports are also of course welcomed!

        Regards,...

-jmpp

[1]
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/branches/release_1_6/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight?format=ra