On Feb 18, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
php4 contains some functionality that was dropped or changed in php5,
so some sites that work with php4 do not work with php5 without some
changes. A developer of such a site might reasonably want to install
php4 using MacPorts to continue developing his site.

both php4 and php5 are currently actively supported release versions of php, as well.

The several postgresql ports exist, as I understand it, because the
database format is binary-incompatible between releases, requiring
the user to perform a manual migration. It was thought that breaking
a user's database just because they ran "sudo port upgrade outdated"
was rude.

postgresql.org also lists 7.4.19, 8.0.15, 8.1.11, 8.2.6, and 8.3.0 under 'Latest Releases' (all are currently supported versions)

Note: It really is fairly trivial to install unison by hand once you
have OCaml installed. If you have a debian machine that doesn't
provide unison 2.27, just install it manually! Seriously! It's easier
than trying to get Unison 2.13 into MacPorts.

I would still agree it's better to install the latest software on the
other machine, rather than get the older software into MacPorts.

True, but I don't see why we care if someone wants to be responsible for maintaining a port for an older version for one reason or another (we can always remove it if/when it becomes unmaintained).
--
Daniel J. Luke