On May 31, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
I've had it successfully build about 145 ports so far, with several
failing for various reasons.  It starts to slow down when you are
dealing when building a port with many dependencies as it will
uninstall all ports between each build attempt for better cleanroom
building.  My MBP's HD gets a bit slow when frequently extracting then
removing thousands of files....

Give it a try if you'd like and reply here or update the wiki page.

I'm running it now, and it seems pretty cool.

I don't know if you have plans for future development, but I was thinking the following would be good:

- Add a way to add more macports.conf settings (enabling parallel builds perhaps) - Use archive mode or activate/inactivate to speed things up for ports with lots of dependencies (unless I'm missing something, I think that ports end up getting rebuilt multiple times as dependencies since everything gets uninstalled between port builds)

We could also do a 'distributed' build test by having the build app ask a macports server for a port (or list of ports) it should build test and then it could send back the success/failure + log which could be stored. We could then send out nag emails (or open tickets) automatically for ports that don't build, which would be nice.

Alternatively, we could set up a dedicated build-test system somewhere that could test ports as they are changed (perhaps a post-commit hook could add to a list of ports to test), but I don't think that macosforge has resources for that (yet?)

Thoughts?
--
Daniel J. Luke