I would like to propose a policy for general consideration. I believe it could save everyone energy and brain-cycles; let's call it "batteries included": As a general rule, ports should enable all standard features/ functionality that may be useful to an end-user.

With this:
- You never install a port to later discover that it is missing some necessary piece of functionality. - Less likely that your port will depend on another port's specific set of variants.

Features that probably should be enabled by default, but often aren't:
        - SSL support.
        - LDAP support.
- Database support (pgsql, mysql, sqlite). The client libraries are cheap to install. - SASL/GSSAPI support. Mac OS X is very kerberos-enabled, MacPorts can and should be too.

Variants should only be used for features that are highly unusual and/ or experimental.

I believe that aiming for "batteries included" will significantly reduce the headache and hassle of installing some software and getting on with your work.

-landonf