On Nov 9, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

On Nov 9, 2008, at 9:03 AM, William Davis wrote:
Commit by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :: r41701 /trunk/base/src/port/ portindex.tcl: (link)
http://trac.macports.org/changeset/41701
portindex.tcl: Generate the port index in a temporary file first, then replace the PortIndex file all at once; fixes #16234

If this is the case cant we easily update the index more than twice a day now? Perhaps even every half hour?

portindex is an annoyingly expensive operation. I don't know if the added load on the macports servers would be worth it?

If someone gets around to implementing an incremental portindex option (say we store the index in an sqlite database and we add a post-commit hook that just updates the index entries for the ports that were just committed) then we could probably have an always up- to-date index without the huge resource requirements.

--
Daniel J. Luke

Daniel, I think that is a wonderful idea. It is beyond my skill level, but hopefully once MacPorts 1.7 is out, someone will come forward to work on that.

WD

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.5 Darwin 9.5.0
XQuartz 2.3.2 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple21)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non