On Nov 10, 2008, at 1:17 AM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:39:17AM -0800, William Siegrist said:
[...]

The index makes no noticeable impact on server load.  I can run it as
often as you want. I havnt timed it on the server lately, but assuming its < 30m, then I can just run it in sync with the rsync server updates
which are already every 30m.

portindex is run at 0045 right? The checkin always seems to happen around 0052, hence my 7-8 minute guess. Running it here on my local repo, watching
top, it does take up some CPU (>50% of a core), so I wasn't sure how
intensive it might be on the server, nor how big of an effect its intensity
would be on the server.

If it isn't that bad of a load, we could definitely bump it up to four to six times a day instead of twice, as a help to upgrade, etc, commands which
use the index; until a better indexing solution is put in place.

PortIndex will now run at 45m after each hour.

-Bill