Citando Jeremy Lavergne :
> Your proposal sounds reasonable to me; that is a very similar approach to
> what Ubuntu (debian) takes, and I think it works fine.
>
> I really wish texlive would do what miktex does and use a package manager for
> each individual package. but oh well. Their collections make pretty good
> sense as divisions.

texlive does provide its own package manager (tlmgr). Naturally, it is
disabled by debian and friends. As it should by macports: we don't want
things to install or update in $prefix without port knowing it.

This proposal is perfectly reasonable. I am not totally convinced by
debian's approach: it can be difficult to understand what to install to
make a specific document compile (installing texlive-context to have
metapost is (was) strange). It is far better than a port for each ctan
package (nice granularity but I don't want to spend my whole life
installing new ports when I want to use a specific symbol, draw a
diagram...). I liked the full/minimal approach (I did not create it,
just followed happily Edd Barrett's openBSD port) which made things
simple both for the user and for the maintainer.

Best of luck,
Emmanuel