> The real question about a webroot is what the document root should be. The
> document root absolutely *cannot* be ${prefix}/www because ${prefix}/www will
> contain the directory cgi-bin and probably other directories that should not
> be served directly by the web server. Therefore, the document root should be
> ${prefix}/www/htdocs (Apache naming) or ${prefix}/www/public (ZendFramework
> naming) or something else that we can agree on.
> I would like there to be a web app portgroup which encapsulates some of
> whatever the behavior is that we decide on here. But there are certainly
> several things web app ports have in common -- not needing to configure or
> build, just needing to copy a set of files to a known place, needing a
> dependency on a web server (but not specifically apache), etc.

We could create two portgroups to handle this: www-apache and www-zend.  If
there are others then we can easily extend it from there.  We could also make
them one portgroup should they provide common functionality.

>> But do we really need to have this configurable? Wouldn't it be enough that
>> all web server ports and web application ports use the same path?
>
> That was my thought as well. After all, we don't have or need variables for
> ${prefix}/include or ${prefix}/lib; ports just know that's where things go.

I'm not sure that's relevant for the same reason that ${applications_dir} can
reside wherever the user wants as well.  It seems to me that the contents of
the web directory will have a one-way dependency into the rest of ${prefix} --
if any at all. Whether a web directory resides inside it or not should be
irrelevant as we would have variables pointing to any necessary locations.

> The next matter of discussion is where web app ports (e.g. phpmyadmin) should
> install their contents. You might argue they should install into the document
> root, but I would say they should install outside the document root and
> symlink the relevant part of themselves into the document root. Not all web
> apps do this, but some of the better-designed web apps are designed not to
> have their main directory served up by the web server; only a specific
> subdirectory should be directly accessible to the web server and it would be
> wrong to install such ports completely inside the document root.

I think they should install themselves to /usr/share/${name}[/...]  and then
link the relevant portions into the web directory.  I believe this is how most
do it nowadays (looking at a common squirrelmail setup right this moment).