On 2011-7-30 16:16 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2011, at 01:12, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I meant to actually read the base code before sending that. Obviously I now
>> see where the Makefile uses dseditgroup -o create to create the group first.
>> Problem is "sudo dseditgroup -o create -n . macports" succeeds with exit
>> status 0 but no group is created.
>
> What's the reason to use dseditgroup here in the Makefile to create the
> group? portutil.tcl uses dscl to create groups, and that seems to have always
> worked before.

That's what the makefile already used in the group target, plus it
seemed more convenient because you don't have to find a free gid
yourself. The man page [1] claims that this should work even on Tiger;
does using -v give any more info?

- Josh

[1]
<http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/10.4/man8/dseditgroup.8.html>