On Feb 19, 2012, at 18:55, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> There's no "bigger problem", aside from the problem that people don't
>> realize that when they try to build a port, and it fails, and they try
>> again, MacPorts picks up from where they left off, rather than starting from
>> the beginning, and the new main.log will only show the steps from where they
>> left off the last time, not from the beginning. We need to see the full log
>> starting from the beginning to know what went wrong.
>
> Should we consider appending to the log rather than truncating it? Perhaps
> using logrotate to manage the files and compress them?

No; what we should consider is modifying the message we display at the end of a
failed build. Instead of always inviting the user to report a bug, we should
only do so if it was a clean build; if it was not a clean build, we should ask
the user to clean and try again. I've suggested this before but am not sure how
to implement it. Probably keep a global tbool variable "clean", set to true
when we start a build, and at the point where we realize it's not a clean build
(maybe at the point where we print the "skipping completed" messages) set it to
false, then modify the message we print at the end based on it.