On 2013-02-10 18:51, Kevin Walzer wrote:
> On 2/10/13 1:39 AM, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Should I persevere with Macports_Framework?  It's been a while since I
>> worked with threads and concurrent processes and Apple's way of doing
>> things, in Objective C, OS X and Xcode is all new to me.  I enjoy a
>> challenge,
>> but in this case, is it (Macports_Framework) worth the effort?  People
>> are
>> lukewarm about having a GUI for Macports anyway.  I am not, but I find
>> the framework for interacting with Macports to be huge and rather
>> daunting.
>
> It's been my observation that as long as MacPort devs have worked on a
> GUI, they have tried to do it the hard way--writing it in Cocoa, and
> making use of MacPorts internals.

>From the initial design, the Tcl library macports1.0 was always meant to
be used by different clients.

> A classic Unix design pattern would limit the scope of the project to
> writing a user-friendly GUI, leaving MacPorts internals alone, and using
> the port tool as the point of contact. The GUI can drive MacPorts via
> commands to the port tool, then parse its output for its own purposes.

The problem with that is MacPorts never defined a "stable" output format
for the port command and I am not sure whether compatibility is
something we want to hold us back from changing the output of the port
command line interface. Hopefully, I did improve the situation a bit by
introducing the -q flag for some of the commands, which was mainly for
myself to make it easier to pipe the port output into other tools.

> A lot of Cocoa devs (professional ones) mock this approach as simply
> wrapping a GUI around a command-line tool. But this approach has the
> virtue of simplicity, letting MacPorts do what it does best and letting
> the UI concentrate on providing a pleasant user experience.

Well, the idea of the MacPorts.framework was to give GUI developers a
library interface they could use instead of worrying to implement a
screen scraper and parse the output correctly.

Rainer