With Mavericks, more so than with previous OS versions (I think one reason is
the different handling of .la files), users are running into errors when they
selfupdate and upgrade outdated ports without realizing that we’d really prefer
them to uninstall and reinstall all ports.

Is there a way that we could detect that the OS has been upgraded so that we
could refer users to the Migration wiki page? I don’t think we keep track of
the last-used OS X version anywhere, but maybe it’s as simple as checking if
any installed port was installed for a different OS version than the current
one (e.g. we’re now on darwin 13 but there are ports installed with darwin 12).