At 11:02 AM -0800 11/20/13, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
On Nov 19, 2013, at 4:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

 On Nov 19, 2013, at 15:15, Joshua Root wrote:
 On 2013-11-20 07:45 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
 Popular choices:
 mysql55
 mysql56
 mariadb
 mariadb55 (mariadb replaced_by mariadb55)

 My vote:
 +1 mariadb55

 mysql5 is 5.1, so really the only option is to replace it with mysql51.

Agreed because the whole reason why we have separate ports for different versions of database servers is so that users can do it at a time of their choosing, since doing so may necessitate upgrading the database structure and/or changing the user's code which uses the database.

Ok, just to be clear, replacing mysql5 with mysql51 will likely require users to move there database files and config files.

I was going to stay out of this, but...

If mysql5 is going away and work has to be done to affect the change, it makes no sense to me to _not_ go with a 5.5 or even 5.6 version (be that MySQL or Maria).

Could we not find a way to have a 'mysql-current*'? There have got to be a number of ports that currently depend on MySQL but have no fundamental problem with newer versions. (My mythtv-core.xx ports fall in that group.) The mysql-current port would just provide a way of finding the version-specific binaries and libraries. mysql-current might point to mysql55 right now and later be updated to maria56, or whatever, while being as transparent as possible.

I think the current situation with mysql-compatible databases is a support nightmare. For my ports, I want/need to give users cookbook-style instructions for installing Myth. They have to do 6 steps to install, initialize, load and prep the database. If I were to support mysql, maria and percona, those instructions would be oh-so-subtly-different for each variant. Already, I get quite a few questions where folks mucked up or missed a step. I don't want to compound those issues several-fold!

Craig

*Yes, bad name. Could be 'mysql-stable', 'mysql-blessed', 'mysql-with-a-bullet', ... ;)