On Jan 17, 2014, at 5:52 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2014, at 16:49, macsforever2...@macports.org wrote:
>
>> Revision
>> 116085
>> Author
>> macsforever2...@macports.org
>> Date
>> 2014-01-17 14:49:13 -0800 (Fri, 17 Jan 2014)
>> Log Message
>>
>> demeter: Require perl 5.16. symlink main binaries into path.
>> Modified Paths
>>
>>      • trunk/dports/science/demeter/Portfile
>
>> +require_active_variants \
>> +                    perl5 perl5_16
>
> Shouldn’t you depend on perl5.16 instead of perl5 and ensure you’re using
> /opt/local/bin/perl5.16 instead of /opt/local/bin/perl? The symlinks
> installed by the perl5 port, like the symlinks installed by “port select”,
> are ideally intended for the user’s convenience, not something other ports
> should rely upon.

Thanks for the feedback. Any p5.16-* dependency will already add perl-5.16. I
just felt it was confusing for new Macports users installing this port to also
get perl5.12 installed. I suppose this is part of the problem of the Macports
perl default version being only 5.12 and needing to be updated to a more modern
version.

I know we’ve had perl discussions before and it ultimately did not get changed
so far. I think we should simply update the default perl - in the perl5 port at
least - to 5.16. When more perl 5.18 subports are added, we can move up to
that. I think the big stumbling block is the desire to change all perl ports to
the new default immediately. I don’t have the time right now to be that
thorough. And no one in particular is attending to all of the perl ports.

Cheers!
-Frank