On 2014-7-27 05:54 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2014, at 6:41 PM, Jean-Philippe Ouellet
> <jean-phili...@ouellet.biz> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In the github portgroup, the urls it uses to fetch releases are:
>>      ${github.homepage}/releases/download/${git.branch}
>> and
>>      ${github.homepage}/tarball/${git.branch}
>>
>> which fetches a tarball that extracts to
>>      ${author}-${project}-${git_hash}/
>> which we then need to fix in post-extract.
>>

>> The tarball for the release linked to from the github web interface is
>>      ${github.homepage}/archive/${version}.tar.gz
>> which extracts to
>>      ${project}-${version}/
>> which I think would be cleaner. (and is used in the majority of brew ports)
>
> This change has been suggested before:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40518
>
> I was not aware of the benefit you mention, and that is indeed a helpful
> change. However, there are also drawbacks I mentioned in the ticket. It would
> come down to needing to define a new portgroup option for whether or not to
> use the legacy tarball urls, editing each port using these tarballs to set
> the value to yes, and remembering to remove that line when updating each of
> those ports to the next version.

The tarball URLs aren't actually legacy AFAICT, they're still a
documented part of the github API:

<https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/contents/#get-archive-link>

Both the tarball and archive URLs actually redirect somewhere else.

>> I found this issue while wondering why I kept getting checksum
>> mismatches in macports when it worked perfectly in homebrew.
>
> You shouldn't be getting checksum mismatches...

You do if you try to use the same checksums in brew and macports.

- Josh