On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> On 19.01.2015 04:37 PM, Thibaut Paumard wrote:

>>> The latest gcc version I had on PPC before my Powermacs died was 4.2.3,
>>> which I think is ever so slightly more recent that what Apple shipped.
>>>
>>> I'd go have a look at what linux distros for that architecture provide.
>> Debian's default on powerpc is gcc 4.9.2:
>
> What about Minix? FreeBSD? GNU HURD?
>
> Seriously, the FSF compiler won't cut it on OS X. Just as one example,
> it can't produce fat binaries (i.e., binaries with multiple
> architectures) and doesn't support the Apple Blocks extension. You won't
> have a lot of fun with FSF GCC as your default compiler.
>
> This is why we are either stuck with Apple's GCC or clang. If the latter
> works, that is.

I'm trying to build one program that works fine on PPC Linux, but
segfaults on PPC Mac (and works on any other Mac). I would like to
exclude a compiler bug (I'm not sure if there's a bug in compiler or a
bug in the code that I'm compiling). I successfully built clang-3.4 a
few days ago, but it refuses to compile the code.

From that perspective having a working gcc would be helpful.

I assume that gcc 4.8 worked on PPC Leopard a while ago (judging from
various comments), so GCC (libgcc to be more precise,
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/46557) must have started failing
recently, possibly after the switch to 4.9. Maybe I should try to
build libgcc from 4.8.

It would probably be helpful to start providing experimental binary
packages with clang 3.6 for PPC (built as described by Jeremy). Once
that is available, it should be much easier to keep building the
latest and greatest versions from SVN from there.

Does one need the server edition of 10.5 to be able to install it in a
virtual machine?

Mojca