On Wednesday February 11 2015 11:27:28 Ian Wadham wrote:

> I am the person who has this problem --- about 3 Gb of stuff in ~/.macports
> and a Time Machine that goes berserk, running mtmd [1] at about 90% CPU
> during "port clean" for example.  I have had to turn Time Machine off.

Expect to see that grow to much more if your qt5 build directory is in there!
From the description, it seems perfectly safe though to exclude it from TM
backups.

About that: aren't there locations under ~/Library (~/Library/Caches for
instance) that are persistent across reboots but still are excluded from
backups by default?

> had hot dinners, going back many decades.  Taking shortcuts never pays…  The
> few seconds or minutes you might save are sooner or later eclipsed by hours of
> stuffing around, as I am experiencing currently.

Are you talking about my port, or about ~/.macports? Neither are the result of
taking shortcuts, esp. not the latter...

> A crashed "port destroot" run, a garbaged-up home directory, a local-port
> structure
> inside /opt/local and maybe a wobbly portindex.

For the crashed "port destroot run", you can do "port clean", but that is
unlikely to help as the error will probably persist. We'll have to figure out
where and what goes wrong, address the issue, and then you will probably be
able to let the "port destroot" command run to completion without doing a clean
first.
The /opt/local/site-ports local-port repository shouldn't bite the rest of
MacPorts insofar as it doesn't override crucial ports with incompatible
versions. In your case that shouldn't be the case. But you can move it anywhere
you like, and adapt the corresponding entry in macports.conf .
If my port garbaged-up your $HOME outside of ~/.macports I'd like to know about
it. I don't believe that it can happen, but send me your log file (port log
qt5-mac-devel) if it is the case after all.

> @René: I need a new set of instructions for running the qt5-mac-devel build.

Sure, but without knowing what went wrong I can hardly do anything other than
double-checking and repeating the existing instructions ...

Cheers,