The rabbitmq-server is broken in various ways (see
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/47799). By default files are installed in
non-standard places, which the port is (unsuccessfully) trying to fix. On top
of the old version of the port doesn’t even compile with the current version of
erlang. By updating to the latest version of rabbitmq-server I run into other
problems.

An alternative approach is to download the byte-compiled version from
https://www.rabbitmq.com/install-generic-unix.html, skip the build phase
altogether, and patch things in the destroy phase. I know nothing about erlang
and have no idea what kind of problems that could cause if the erlang port is
updated.

Starting from the standalone version (rather than the server version) is yet
another possibility. This is what Home Brew does:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/rabbitmq.rb.

If someone could try to create a somewhat usable version of this port, it’d be
much appreciated.

Best,
Mark