On Nov 30, 2015, at 3:00 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Sunday November 29 2015 23:01:45 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> /Library/Fonts is a location which users expect to be in control of. They
>> expect to be able to install and uninstall files here, and not to have files
>> there owned by MacPorts or other software. What would happen if the user had
>> already installed the font there, and then MacPorts tried to install it
>> there?
>
> That argument also applies the other user installing fonts is not MacPorts
> but, well, another user...

I'm talking about a single-user Mac system, which is most Macs. If one user on
a multi-user Mac is having trouble removing a font installed by another user on
that Mac, they can take the matter up with that other user. Whereas if a user
is having trouble with a font installed by MacPorts, they would take it up with
us, and I would rather users not encounter situations that cause them to need
to contact us.

>> Maybe install the fonts in ${prefix}/Library/Fonts, or another directory
>> inside the prefix where other ports already install fonts, and try to
>> convince whatever port you're working on that requires that specific font to
>> use it from that location.
>
> Is that even possible? I'm not aware it is (except under X11 where one can
> indeed modify the font server's path). And even if it were, it'd require
> hacking foreign code which is probably already hacked together to some extent
> if it's cross-platform.

I don't know what program you're talking about or what configuration options it
provides. If an OS X app really requires a font, I would have thought they
would include it in their application bundle and use it from there.

> As to the possible activation errors: wouldn't it be a wise idea to disallow
> force-activating of items installed outside of the ${prefix}, as a general
> principle?

Possibly.