> On Oct 21, 2016, at 2:12 PM, Clemens Lang <c...@macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hello MacPorts users and developers,
>
> ... Please read through
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit
> which contains a number of guidelines for working with the MacPorts Git
> repositories.

The Working with Git page is pretty good.  There is a lot of good background
and explanation of why and how Git is different from svn.

However, would it be possible to add a tangible example of updating a port to
that page?

I know a little bit about Subversion and less about Git.  I would like to see a
soup-to-nuts example of cloning the ports tree, updating a Portfile, maybe
deleting an old patch and adding a new one, and getting the updated port into
MacPorts (direct commit v. pull request).  It would be helpful if one-time
requirements (setting name and email address) were clearly separated from
repetitive steps (pulling changes from master?).  Otherwise, it is going to be
a wee bit nerve-wracking the first few times...

Also, is the consensus that a graphical user interface over git more likely to
be harmful than helpful?  The Tools section at the bottom of the page doesn’t
give any kind of recommendation.

Craig