>> On Oct 25, 2016, at 6:54 AM, Rainer Müller <rai...@macports.org> wrote:

>>> We should document, with screenshots, the specific buttons that should be
>>> clicked to achieve this, for the benefit of those developers like me who
>>> are not that familiar with git and GitHub.
>>
>> Keeping such a documentation with screenshots updated to the current
>> GitHub release seems excessive. The GitHub documentation already has
>> screenshots. We should not try to recreate it, but rather place the
>> links to the relevant sections.
>>
>> https://help.github.com/articles/merging-a-pull-request/
>
> As long as we don't just link, but in cases where their documentation offers
> multiple choices, tell the user which of those choices to use.

I have just noticed in one of my GitHub repositories that in Settings
-> Options there is a "Merge button" section that lets you
enable/disable the behaviours of the merge button described in the
above link.
Maybe you could leave only "Allow rebase merging" enabled and disable the rest.

Best wishes.
Davide