On 2016-11-5 06:14 , Daniel J. Luke wrote:
On Nov 4, 2016, at 2:09 PM, Sterling Smith <smit...@fusion.gat.com> wrote:
In the past, I have seen responses to svn changelogs directed to the committer
and copied to the dev list,

I expect that to continue to be the case.

so apparently port maintainers who are committers are not always the best
reviewers.  How many times has there been a post-svn-commit debate about
whether something warranted a revision bump?  I would recommend that any change
that changes the build more than a version and checksum change warrants a pull
request.  If no one acts to review it within the timeliness dictated of the
committer, then they still have the prerogative and authority to commit the
changes when they want.

-1 from me.

I'm not sure what problem this actually would solve, and it would be more work
for committers.

[if we had lots of people capable and willing to do review every change, then I
could see it being helpful - but we don't have that]

I can see PRs being helpful in the case where a committer has a change to someone else's port ready to go and they just want to run it by the maintainer. In that situation it's quicker and easier than the alternatives.

But in general, yeah, not enough hours in the day.

- Josh