On 2016-11-09 15:18, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> [...] If a change can be
> expressed as "please have a look at my version of this/ese file(s)
> and consider incorporating them", why would you have to jump through
> all kinds of hoops that only increase the chance for error?

Remember we still have Trac. There is no requirement to use pull
requests on GitHub for submission of changes, it is just an additional
way. You can just file a ticket with the new file. This won't support
any inline comments for reviews, though.

>  On Wednesday November 09 2016 14:24:36 Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> You can delete commits completely from a branch by editing the
>> history with 'git rebase -i'.
>
> Even when the commit has been pushed (or in this case, was made
> directly on the remote)? Git makes that hard intentionally. I'm still
> surprised that I've been able to rewind the remote fork and delete a
> branch off it that had an open pull request, without recreating the
> whole fork from scratch.

Yes, even when it was done remotely. You can modify branches in any way
you want locally, there are no restrictions to stop you. Although you
will need to force-push the branch then to update it on the remote side.
Which should be fine in this case, as it is your personal repository and
does not have other users.

>> git log --graph --oneline --decorate @{upstream}..HEAD
>
> @{upstream}? Is that an existing keyword or something that you
> substitute automatically?

@{upstream} in git revision syntax refers to the last common commit
which is on both the current branch and its tracking branch.

https://git-scm.com/docs/gitrevisions

Rainer