> On Nov 14, 2016, at 6:05 PM, Rainer Müller <rai...@macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 2016-11-15 00:50, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Why is using the weird
>>
>>    [subst {...}]
>>
>> here better than using
>>
>>    "..."
>>
>> ?
>
> There is no way to split a line within "..." done here with the
> backslashes at the end of the lines within {...}. With quotes, it would
> either require to keep the whole paragraph on a single line in the
> Portfile or hard code a fixed line width instead of letting the port
> client decide how it will be displayed (for port(1), wrap at terminal
> width).
>
> Normally it is not possible to use variable substitutions within {...},
> which is why the explicit [subst {...}] is required.
>
> Rainer

What are you talking about? As far as I can tell, this works identically to
what you have:

notes "
    If you want to use bash-completion for git-cola, you have to source the\
    completion files from your ~/.bashrc as it extends the git command\
    completion and cannot be loaded automatically:

      source ${prefix}/share/bash-completion/completions/git
      source ${prefix}/share/bash-completion/completions/git-cola
"

I use this all the time.