On 2016-12-6 12:13 , Eric A. Borisch wrote:

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Joshua Root <j...@macports.org
<mailto:j...@macports.org>> wrote:

    On 2016-12-6 11:49 , Eric A. Borisch wrote:

        I'm going to throw in my 2c again asking for the 'squash and commit'
        button to be activated. I'm much more likely to wander through and
        commit some cut-and-dried PRs if it is something I can do
        drive-by, or
        even from my phone.

        And by cut-and-dried, I mean PRs from a prior contributor updating
        checksum and version numbers on a port, for example.

    If it's that cut-and-dried, what's wrong with rebase and merge?

    - Josh

If there have been comments and an updated PR (multiple commits),should
I rebase-and-merge from the web?. I thought the answer was no
(non-linear commit history?) This was the particular case when I first
brought it up. Just trying to reduce the "friction" to contributing to MP.

Well, I wouldn't call that a cut-and-dried case, but: In the case of a PR branch with multiple commits, some of which are fixing problems with earlier commits rather than just being logically separate changes, squashing is preferable. But the nonlinear history problem is the result of *not* rebasing.

From what I understand, what we'd really like for that case is a "squash, rebase and merge" option. Unless we've misunderstood what "squash and merge" does and it doesn't actually create a merge commit?

- Josh