On 2018-01-11, at 12:28 AM, Jan Stary wrote:

> Does anyone now? If my port requires (say) python (any python),
> what is the right way to say that? (In some cases, having
> /usr/bin/python is just fine.)

MacPorts tries to undertake the principle of reproducible builds
<https://reproducible-builds.org/>.

A port is built as much as possible the same way on every system and issues are
more easily debugged. Specifying a fully determined version of python or perl
helps to remove the issue of different versions building the software
differently.

In the main, port submissions are required to have a fully spec'd version of
python or perl for this reason -- a version that is verified to work correctly,
and consistent across all builds. If you were managing a system of 20,000 ports
and users of all different skill levels, you would eventually come to the same
conclusion.

In simple cases, it might be allowed to slide.