On Jan 12, 2018, at 6:30 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jerem...@macports.org>
wrote:
> In https://trac.macports.org/ticket/54744, we've been pondering adding a
> PortGroup to allow concurrent installation of multiple providers of the
> OpenSSL API (eg: openssl, libressl, libressl-devel) and allow ports to
> specify which they are compatible with.
>
> It occurred to me that it would be nice if we could update the PortGroup when
> one of the dependencies changed their dylib id rather than revbumping all
> ports.  Is this something anyone else has considered?

I've suggested this in the past (for p5 ports, specifically) that we could
(ab)use revision to avoid having to rev-bump many ports. (I suggested we use a
date-string so that individual ports that used the port-group could still set a
higher revision if they needed to - but we'd still probably have to work out
something to handle the case where a port wanted to set a revision and then
later we wanted to update the revision in the portgroup).

IIRC Ryan /hated/ that idea.

Alternatively, we could add something to base to let us specify this kind of
dependency (which would be useful).

--
Daniel J. Luke