On Apr 10, 2018, at 13:55, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> On 2018-04-10, at 11:47 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't want to release 2.4.3 with the libstdc++ ABI issue unanswered. I
>>> believe it will cause problems.
>>
>> Then we should revert this change for 2.4.3 and we have one more reason
>> to go for a 2.4.4 release.
>>
>> Rainer
>

> I would have like to set libgcc to ABI4 mode, at least on PPC, to fix this
> forever, but Jeremy felt this was undesirable. Perhaps we might still
> consider doing that, though, at least on PPC.
>
> Two other easy options:
>
> 1. add the required *ABI=0 flag by default to all cxx builds on PPC. This
> would be completely fine I believe. More desirable.

And then after MacPorts 2.4.3 release, revbump any ports that were built with
*ABI=1, and add to them an invocation of macports_version and vercmp to ensure
they're being rebuilt by 2.4.3 or later.

> 2. wait for builds to fail to link (they will, on 10.6 to 10.8 and PPC if the
> linking doesn't work, as we have all seen) then add the cxx11 PortGroup as we
> do now when we see this failure. Less desirable.

Mixing libc++ and libstdc++ results in a link failure. Mixing old libstdc++ and
new libstdc++ did not previously result in a link failure; it resulted in a
runtime crash which was difficult to diagnose and attribute to this problem.
That was back before gcc5. I don't know things have changed.