On 2018-04-18 05:37, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2018, at 07:33, Rainer Müller wrote:

>>> Again: Why?
>>>
>>> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2018-March/037750.html
>>
>> The previous code always used /usr/bin/git, even if the git port was
>> installed. Only old versions of macOS got to use the latest version of
>> git, while recent versions of macOS were stuck with /usr/bin/git.
>>
>> That does not seem to be a useful default to me, therefore it made sense
>> to me to always use the latest version from ${prefix}/bin/git.
>
> But if /usr/bin/git works... why not use that and save the user the time and
> disk space? I know we go back and forth on this, whether we should use OS
> ports when available or always use ports for consistency, but this is one of
> the situations where thus far we've used the OS binary if it works.
>

>> Is always adding the git port as a dependency too heavy?
>
> It does take a long time to build from source. Building git, in order to
> check out the infrastructure ports, is, for example, one of the most
> time-consuming parts of setting up a new buildbot worker.

Okay, from the feedback I get we want to keep the old behavior.
I reverted the changes to only use /usr/bin/git.

https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/eef07c3ce77b31c55af69107d1e591571ae7b088

>> One of the remaining points on my to-do list for this branch would be to
>> figure out a way to get rid of the dependency on the VCS tools if the
>> fetch is tarballable, as the distfile would be available from our mirrors.
>
> Absolutely. Not sure how you'll do it!

I think of adding another port target for VCS fetch, so we can assign a
different list of dependencies to it. That would only be used internally.

Rainer