On 23/01/2019 11:00 am, Joshua Root wrote:
On 2019-1-23 21:01 , Nicolas Pavillon wrote:
Hi,

On Jan 23, 2019, at 17:06, Joshua Root <j...@macports.org> wrote:

Doesn't look too hard, just changing '--with-as=${prefix}/bin/as' in the
portfile to '--with-as=${prefix}/bin/llvm-as-mp-7.0' for example. But
we're already telling the gcc ports --with-as=${prefix}/bin/as
specifically, which makes the change in behaviour with a different PATH
a bit puzzling.

Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding, and in the case this point comes
from what I mentioned.
I indeed reported that there was a different behavior when changing PATH, but
this was with a gfortran outside of Macports.
I installed another version of gfortran to test if it was working with it, and
the build failed with /opt/local in PATH (because of the older
/opt/local/bin/as), and worked without it (since the build automatically used
/usr/bin/as, I guess), but there was no —with-as instruction in that case.

OK, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

I think I know how to fix this, the question is just whether we want to
add a dependency on clang or use the Xcode one (which not all OS
versions have.)

Which ports exactly are you thinking of adding clang dependencies to ? Will need to be careful of not creating circular deps, as for instance the clang ports themselves depend on cctools.

Chris

- Josh