> On 14 Aug 2019, at 11:30 pm, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 08:28, Christopher Jones wrote:
>
>>> As you can see from the cleanup step's output, there was 21GiB of space
>>> available when the build failed.
>>>
>>> https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.7_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/108375/steps/cleanup/logs/stdio
>>>
>>> How much free space does it need?
>>
>> I guess more than that…
>
> It looks like gcc9 did in the mean time build on that builder.

yeah, I triggered a rebuild to try again, and it worked that time.

> I've previously used Grand Perspective to examine the disk space usage of the
> build machines and didn't see anything big, but it turns out Grand
> Perspective doesn't include items whose names begin with a period, and that's
> where the problem was: the .Spotlight-V100 directory on the 10.7 builder was
> 36GiB the first time I looked and 26GiB the second time I looked, and on the
> 10.8 builder it was 16GiB. I've deleted the Spotlight indexes on all the
> builders and hopefully when they're done rebuilding they'll be smaller.

I wouldn’t use applications like that for this sort of thing, for that very
reason. Then tend to try and be just a bit too clever for my tastes.

In the end, I tend to just rely on good old dumb ‘df -h’ …

> Maybe I should just exclude /opt/local and /Applications/MacPorts from the
> Spotlight indexes on the builders, but I wasn't sure if that would have some
> undesirable effect on some build system (Xcode?) that might use Spotlight to
> find something?

I guess given how frequently the data in these locations change, that’s part of
the problem. The systems must be having to re-index all the time….

I cannot see what excluding these locations would break. I am sure there are
some that already do this themselves. I have in the past (not right now, for
reasons I forget but for sure not related to anything in MP breaking because of
it.

Chris