> On 6 Aug 2020, at 8:02 pm, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.web...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> category-only identifier is
>
> less clear and less obvious
> harder to remember how to search for
> name conflicts with a non-binary version (eg for newer systems that can build
> it)
>
> so far, name-suffix is winning on all fronts...with no downsides yet.

For you maybe…

For me, the port category is clearly the better approach. I fail to see how

port echo category:binary and installed

is any harder to run than

port -v installed | grep binar

If anything, your suggestion involves the use of a pipe and secondary command
(grep) so could be argued to be more complicated.

FWIW, I dislike the proposal of using the port name here, if we are going to do
this, when there is already a mechanism in macports (the categories) for
exactly this use case.

Chris