Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2021, at 17:16, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>>
>> 1) what's our audience :
>>   ? newbies
>>   ? experienced
>>   ? nerds
>>   ? linux refugees
>>   each of these needs different kinds of handholding
>>
>> There's also a tendency to just abandon problems and wait for upstream
>> to fix them instead of finding (temporary) workarounds. Try looking for
>> "php80-imagick" in the threads.
>
> The php imagick module is not compatible with php 8 or later. It is not our
> job to make it so. Other than MacPorts base and supporting software, we do
> not develop the software. We provide software that has been developed by
> others and what the other developers choose to support or not is out of our
> control.
>
> Anyone is welcome to contribute e.g. to the upstream php imagick project to
> make it php 8+ compatible. When that happens, we'll update to the new version
> of MacPorts.

I fully understand that macports as such doesn't have the job of fixing
this situation upstream - and that's also not what I'm asking for /
proposing. I'm proposing something like when a port is deprecated so one
gets a note about the situation.

We are back to who the audience is :

If it's "nerds" -or- "linux refugees" all is good and well - they are
able to find the fix/workaround on their own (as I did).

But if we want to cater to newbies, we'll (IMHO) have to provide some
way to tell them :
- why isn't php80-imagick available
- what's the (possible) workaround

And php80-imagick is only used as an example here.

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa