From: Ben Greenfield <b...@cogs.com>
Date: Friday, 21 May 2021 at 13:26
To: Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org>
Cc: Andrew Janke <fl...@apjanke.net>, Enrico Maria Crisostomo
<enrico.m.crisost...@gmail.com>, MacPorts Developers
<macports-dev@lists.macports.org>
Subject: Re: Buildbot hardware (was: Re: Framing the MacPorts discussion)
Hey All,

Thanks for the direction Ryan.

> On May 21, 2021, at 12:46 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>
> On May 19, 2021, at 12:38, Andrew Janke wrote:
>
>> I have a small stack of Mac Minis I got to use as a buildbot farm for
>> Octave.app; I might be able to have them pull double duty for MacPorts
>> depending on your change volume.
>

> On May 20, 2021, at 08:10, Enrico Maria Crisostomo wrote:
>
>> I've got an iMac Pro in my LAN with 16 vCores and 64GB or RAM which is quite
>> often idle.
>> I'm not privy with how our build system work, but if we could get to a point
>> where agents can be added, stopped, throttled, trusted members of our
>> community could volunteer the computational power they have at their
>> disposal without fully dedicating a machine.
>> In my specific case: I'm happy to offer VMs on that machine to volunteer
>> computational resources.
>

> On May 20, 2021, at 08:20, Ben Greenfield wrote:
>
>> I can definitely donate the facilities if not the talent.
>>
>> I have a symmetrical fiber connection and a static ip. I also have battery
>> backup.
>> I’m in the final weeks of making the building legal and I haven’t configured
>> the final network set-up for the building. I was going to set-up a vlan on
>> my hp procurve switch.
>> I’m still shopping for a router to run OPNsense I think.
>>
>> I have been a mac sysadmin long time.
>

> There seem to be a lot of people suddenly volunteering hardware for our build
> system. First, thank you; I didn't know we had people interested in that.
>
> Our build system has never been designed to accommodate external hardware. It
> has always been designed as a centralized system controlled by one
> administrator. When it was first set up in 2011-12 it was under the control
> of our Apple administrator at macOS forge. I became the macOS forge
> administrator temporarily in late 2015, and MacPorts left macOS forge in late
> 2016 as that service shut down, and I recreated the buildbot system on my own
> hardware and have run it since then.
>
> We now have one external Apple Silicon build machine hosted at another data
> center, but it's still under my exclusive control so that I can keep
> everything working together.

I would be happy to provide the same service. I don’t need a log-in and I can
probably provide out of band power reset. The system could be on it’s own vlan.

> There are currently many situations where the build system gets into a state
> that requires manual intervention. Because I control all the machines, I'm
> able to make those fixes and get things back up and running quickly.
>
> We currently have all the builders we need: one for each OS version / arch
> combination. The system was never designed to have more than that. If for
> example we added a second macOS 11 / x86_64 builder, there could be confusion
> and problems if the two machines have different OS / Xcode / command line
> tools / java versions installed.
>
> There are security issues to consider. The binaries produced by our buildbot
> workers are signed on the master with our private key. This is our "seal of
> approval" that says we believe these binaries to be good and safe. Users
> trust that. If we start allowing other people to run build machines, then we
> have the problem that we do not know for certain whether those other build
> machines are free of malware or other problems. We would be signing binaries
> for distribution to users without being certain of their safety or
> correctness. I'm not very comfortable with that.

Yes, that safety should be maintained.

> Why is this discussion happening? Why do people think we need more hardware?
> If we need more or faster CPUs or more memory, I can make those changes to
> the hardware I already manage.

I volunteered because it sounded like resources might be needed:).

Let me know if the free-hosting is needed.

Ben