On Fri, 19 Nov 2021, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

Howdy! As things stand, we don't explicitly say much in our rules about whether people can remove obsolete ports after a year even without a port maintainer's say-so. We also have circumstances where people leave "maintainer" lines in ports that have been put into `obsolete`.
[...]
4. If a subport is set `obsolete`, the usual rules about the maintainer needing to consent to touching the Portfile should not apply for removing said subport in a year, as the one year is (again) enough time for them to think better on it.

Any edit to a port potentially conflicts with something the maintainer(s) may be doing. The only justification for bypassing the normal maintainer timeout is when deploying the change is time-critical. Removing an obsolete port that's been in place for months hardly qualifies.

Fred Wright